February 8, 2012

Cabo Shakedown - Bishop Rock Race 2/10

After a successful Transpac campaign last Summer on Naos2 (Beneteau First
40) my good friend Charles from Naos Yachts asked me to join him in a
Double-handed effort for Balboa YC's Cabo Race this March. After a bit of
thought (and a bit of what the hell am I thinking!) I said, "sure, sounds
like fun". Our weapon of choice, a new Juan K designed Beneteau First 30. 

Now Charles comes from a life of racing in France where short-handed sailing
is King, and boat prep is of the utmost importance. After Transpac '11, I
can tell you I have never raced on a better prepared and suited out boat in
my life. And our Cabo effort is going to be no different. A complete new
inventory of Ullman's, an offshore specific rig, new Sprit, the best
auto-pilot money can buy, etc... Not to mention plenty of Duck Foie Gras,
Pate and Red Wine!

Our first shakedown race is this weekend's PSSA's (www.pssla.com
<http://www.pssla.com/> ) Bishop Rock Race. We start Friday at 1500 from
Marina del Rey, round Bishop Rock and finish at Catalina's West End, a total
of 165nm. Weather forecast is currently for 22-28kts and 14' seas at the
rock. Yep, gonna be a shakedown for sure. But, better to put her through
these kind of paces on a "short" race before heading down Baja.

On the agenda (besides winning) we have plenty of new sails to test and
record, D4 Main, D4 Code 1 & 2 Headsails, Race Dacron Code 3 Headsail, D4
Code 0/Screecher, Staysail, Code A1, A2, A3 and A4/6 Spinnakers. All in all,
going to be a great ride. Guess I'll sleep on Sunday!

I'll be taking notes and hopefully shooting some GoPro, look for an update
on this adventure next week.

Cheers and fast sailing,

Scott Poe